Sunday, October 20, 2019

Teaching, Teaching, Teaching!



Teaching IS the career field for me.  

Teaching HAS always been the career field for me.  

No matter the career field I chose in the past, I always found myself standing front and center as a teacher.  Even as a parent, I'm a teacher.  

It's not surprising though.  As a little child, teaching anyone who would listen, was my thing.  


I've had some really great teachers in my life.  The teachers that taught me the most were those who taught me who and what not to be or what not to do.  I have to admit, I am usually the glass is half full kind of person but after a minute of contemplation, I decided to go a different direction this time. I think I chose this route because it's important to teach our children that regardless of whether teachers show up to be a positive influence in our lives or whether they merely show up for their pay checks, we can still learn a great deal from both scenarios .  

It is up to us to see each situation as something we must go through to become our best selves.


Although I wanted to be a teacher in an educational setting, I never thought my experiences as a teacher would come from serving 28 years in the military.  The military opened the door to a variety of cultures, personalities, and life experiences.  Therefore, as a leader, coach, mentor, and teacher I not only taught some of the best but I also learned from them as well.  

What an awesome opportunity.


One day, many moons later, I decided to surrender my final salute to the Army. However, teaching others in and out of an educational setting, probably will be apart of my life until I surrender my final salute to this life.


Nikki Ruffin Smith
www.nyasproject.com
nyasproject@gmail.com



No comments:

Post a Comment